JUN 27 2012 / Relationships key to thriving economy, says Relate's new Chief Executive
For immediate release: Wednesday 27thJune 2012
Relationships key to thriving economy, says Relate’s new Chief Executive
Relate’s new Chief Executive, Ruth Sutherland, starts her new role pledging to increase understanding of how good relationships contribute not only to a thriving economy, but a healthy society as well as our personal success.
Ruth, who was a Relate client herself when she was young, said: “My first priority is to build on the strengths and proud history of Relate to increase understanding of the significance and benefits of healthy relationships at all stages of our lives and to society as a whole.
“I want Relate to be known as the relationship experts, working to help more people, in more ways, as well as working alongside partner organisations and government to help achieve healthy and happy relationships across our society.
“Never has there been a better time to take action on relationships.During these tough economic times families are under strain and need Relate’s services more than ever. I will work to develop new services that reach out to help as many people as possible.”
Ruth comes to Relate from Scope, where she was Executive Director of Services. Prior to that Ruth was Chief Operating Officer and interim CEO at the Alzheimer’s Society, as well as Director of Services at Rethink, the severe mental illness charity.
Ruth originally qualified as a Registered General Nurse but has spent the majority of her career in public health roles, including being one of the founding Directors of the Community Development and Health Network, a charitable membership network committed to addressing inequalities in health and wellbeing, and based in Northern Ireland.
Ruth is married and has three young adult children and divides her time between her home in Northern Ireland and her work based in London.
Contact Mel Merritt, Media Manager on: 020 7554 2892 / email@example.com for out of hours enquiries - 07971 869 735
Notes to editors:
- Relate’s vision is a future in which healthy relationships form the heart of a thriving society.
- Relate’s services extend beyond couple counselling to family counselling, counselling for young people, online counselling, sex therapy and informal workshops
- Relate works in schools, primary care settings, prisons, and Children’s Centres
- Relate supports 150,000 people each year in over 600 locations in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Relate has a work-force of 2,000 people nationwide
- For more information and advice visit: www.relate.org.uk