Relate Press Releases
APR 30 2012 / Response to the launch of the Marriage Foundation
Responding to the launch of the Marriage Foundation, Sarah Caulkin, Interim Chief Executive of Relate, said:
“We welcome the launch of the Marriage Foundation and in particular the support that prominent Judges from the Family Division are giving this issue.
“At Relate, we witness on a daily basis the often devastating impact that relationship breakdown can have, especially if children are involved and we would urge people to come to us sooner to talk through their problems to help stop the cycle of relationship breakdown.
“Yet a high degree of stigma still exists in this country around accessing help for relationship difficulties. More needs to be done by the sector as a whole to shift people’s perceptions so that they feel willing and able to get support.
“However, Relate also urges caution on looking at marriage as a panacea. Our relationship structures are ever evolving and we need to be extremely careful not to focus on the status of the relationship, and instead concentrate on the quality. What’s important for the wellbeing of society as a whole is that relationships, in all forms, are accepted and supported to enable stability and happiness to flourish.”
Contact Head of Marketing and PR, Kim Atkins, on: 020 7554 2885 / email@example.com or for out of hours enquiries - 07971 869 735
Notes to editors:
• Relate’s vision is a future in which healthy relationships form the heart of a thriving society
• Relate’s services extend beyond couple counselling to family counselling, counselling for young people, online counselling, sex therapy and informal workshops
• Relate works in schools, primary care settings, prisons, and Children’s Centres
• Relate supports 150,000 people each year in over 600 locations in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
• Relate has a work-force of 2,000 people nationwide