A reduced cost Portsmouth Mediation Service for property, financial and child arrangements to help separating couples. Let us help you achieve a peaceful and cheaper alternative to costly and lengthy court arrangements.
What is Family Mediation?
We offer you and your ex-partner a safe, neutral place where professional mediators can help you work out what happens after you split up.
Relate mediators are here to listen to you and your ex-partner explain your concerns and views to each other and help you reach an agreement around things like finances, arrangements for children, property and other assets. Mediation works by helping people find practical solutions that feel fair. We won't try and get you back together and we can help even if you've been separated for a while.
What happens in Family Mediation?
The initial meeting – either separately or together will help you decide if mediation is right for you.
The joint mediation sessions – usually around 90 minutes – will help you discuss and identify the solutions available to you both. The number of meetings will depend on your individual needs.
When an agreement is reached, your Mediator will provide you with a written summary so that everyone is clear about what has been decided. Your agreement can also be made legally binding by the court.
Watch the video below of Irene, one of our Mediators talking about how Family Mediation works .
How can Family Mediation help?
- Family Mediation gives you more say about what happens.
- It is quicker, cheaper and less stressful than a lengthy court process.
- It is easier on your children – when parents co-operate it helps them maintain important family relationships.
What does Family Mediation cost?
- Legal aid is still available for Family Mediation. You can check if you qualify by using the legal aid checker on gov.uk.
- If you are not eligible for Legal Aid then appointment charges will apply. The cost of an initial meeting with a mediator is £80 per person. Our Quick Start Mediation package includes a joint assessment and a mediation session at £150 per person. For subsequent sessions there is a tariff of charges dependent upon your financial circumstances.
Book an appointment
If you are interested in starting Family Mediation please complete our application form below. If you'd like to talk to someone about Family Mediation you can call us on 02392 827026.
If you are a solicitor and would like to refer clients for Family Mediation in Portsmouth or South East Hampshire please contact us.